Thursday 12 February 2015

Dolphins, Maori and a seal.

Kaikoura was both frustrating and exciting in equal measures. When we arrived we were told the whale watching trip we had booked had been cancelled due to the weather. So it was time for plan B. I just had to come up with one. After a trip to tourist info, we decided to go see the Maori Leap cave, a limestone cave discovered in 1958. It wasn't the biggest or most impressive cave I have ever seen, but it was interresting and worth it just for Barry the guide. 

We went for a walk up the peninsula to have a look at Southern Bay. Then we went out to the Lavender Farm, a little piece of peace and tranquility.  We had afternoon tea and lavender scones. After that we thought we would go and have a look at the seal colony. At this point I thought the wildlife had something against us. Not a seal in sight! Then one popped out of the water, just to have its photo taken, I think. 



Next day went more to plan. We headed off to see some dolphins. Now I am not a great swimmer or terribly fit, so why I thought it was a good idea to go snorkelling for the first time in the sea with a moderate swell, I don't know. But off I went. Very quickly I realised I was out of my depth, literally. I did see a couple of dolphins swim very close to me, before I lost my nerve and headed back for the boat. In retrospect, I could have stayed where I was and they would have come to me. Instead I struggled back and spent ages gasping for breath on the boat. But all was not lost. Once I recovered I had a joyous time watching hundreds of dusky dolphins jumping and playing around us. A little video taster. 



The trip back was exciting. We were racing a weather front. The wind had switched to the south, which is directly from the Antarctic. The boat was as more exciting than the wildest roller coaster. I loved it (not the case for all the passengers I'm afraid). The down side of this was when we went to see about our rescheduled whale watch, it was again cancelled. 

Back to plan B. This time it was a last minute booking for a Maori tour. http://www.maoritours.co.nz/
It was great fun. We were each given a Maori name, taken to a the remains of a Pa ( fortified village ), had tea with the guides mum and daughters and were taken on a bush walk. So day worked out OK. We will just have to come back for the whales. Next stop Blenheim and the wine tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment